• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach O hire not looking to hot to me

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Thinning the herd isn't without some pain.  And, we don't know if these guys would've stayed under Heath.  It reminds me of an exchange at work, years ago, concerned about investing in training employees.

Manager 1: What if we train all these people, and they LEAVE?

Manager 2:  What if we don't...and they STAY?

Point is, you have to drive your team to get better, and if that weeds some players out, you're better to do it now than be stuck with quitters during the season.

Reminds me of a funny story about training, at a company I used to work for.

Stephen Covey had recently published the original 7 Habits book, and had signed with the Franklin day-planner company to develop a course to teach the concepts therein.

My firm (to remain unnamed!) was chosen to "road test" the 3- or 5-day pilot program, and I was lucky enough to be one of the first 20 to go through it.

Of the 20, I think 7 of them came back and quit. Yes, it really is THAT powerful. You should read the book if you haven't.

I don't think they ever sent a second group, LOL.

This same company, a few years later, decided to "thin the ranks" by offering folks packages to leave, hoping to get rid of some of the deadweight.

The only ones who took advantage of it were the top flyers, who knew they could immediately get hired elsewhere. Ooops!

The Law of Unintended Consequences struck again!!!

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

Im not sure I have ever heard of 50% turnover with a new coach coming in.

There are 5 guys on a Bball team.

There are 5 guys on the Oline.

Coach O and Lovie are doing the same thing.

Sort of...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,466
  • Days Won:  422

Sort of...

A better way to look at it may be that right now we're at 38% turnover, 5/13 schollied players. With Lovie, that would be 20 new players on the roster ... and that wouldn't surprise me.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Sort of...

A better way to look at it may be that right now we're at 38% turnover, 5/13 schollied players. With Lovie, that would be 20 new players on the roster ... and that wouldn't surprise me.

Not at all. Plus, college basketball players have a higher than average transfer rate to being with. So you're talking a program in which 2 players would have likely left regardless and 3 who left as a result of the coaching change.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,466
  • Days Won:  422

Sort of...

Not at all. Plus, college basketball players have a higher than average transfer rate to being with. So you're talking a program in which 2 players would have likely left regardless and 3 who left as a result of the coaching change.

Hey, it was better than the 5 hoops players compared to the OL .....

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Saying the hire doesn't look too good is like looking at the construction site of a house being built and saying that the house doesn't look too good when all they have worked on is the frame.

Let's see what kind of team Antigua can put in place and what the record is at the end of the first couple of years.

Some expected next year to be rough. I expected it to be a pretty good year. Regardless, there seems to be a MAJOR culture change going on within the program. I have my thoughts on why kids are leaving, but the reality is we have no idea why unless you are in the locker room or are close to someone who is.

The only question I would have is the coaching staff upset about the departures?

I am not thrilled about Egbunu leaving, but the two I would be upset about is Collins and Perry.

I had lost all interest in USF basketball after the McCullum era. I couldn't stand the losing and even worse, I couldn't stand the style of play. Collins' play his first year restored my interest in the program. So he became one of my favorite Bulls of all time. Even if he is not 100% I want him on the roster.

Harlan is a smart basketball mind who has been around top programs most of his life. Antigua is well regarded and I imagine he has a plan. I will remain optimistic until proven otherwise.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Saying the hire doesn't look too good is like looking at the construction site of a house being built and saying that the house doesn't look too good when all they have worked on is the frame.

Not even the frame.  It's more like they're still clearing the site.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  349
  • Days Won:  1

I love how some people are so positive, I mean we can't do anything about what's happening we don't have any control anyways. Keep it real though guys, So far not so good. If he is a good recruit he should have been able to keep Egbunu, which is starting to scare me that he couldn't do. I watched just about ever game last year and Egbunu will be missed on the court, I'm sure his stock went up since he was recruited in high school.He played hard and you could see all that potential. One thing is recruiting at Kentucky another this is recruiting here and winning here. Stan Recruited at Michigan State and won a lot over there but that didn't mean anything here.On that note, I would hate to see another bad see next year it was hard enough watching this year.

Edited by Cmr3

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If he is a good recruit he should have been able to keep Egbunu

What makes you believe this?  Do you have some insight as to why Egbunu decided to leave?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,748
  • Content Count:  17,448
  • Days Won:  13

I love how some people are so positive, I mean we can't do anything about what's happening we don't have any control anyways. Keep it real though guys, So far not so good. If he is a good recruit he should have been able to keep Egbunu, which is starting to scare me that he couldn't do. I watched just about ever game last year and Egbunu will be missed on the court, I'm sure his stock went up since he was recruited in high school.He played hard and you could see all that potential. One thing is recruiting at Kentucky another this is recruiting here and winning here. Stan Recruited at Michigan State and won a lot over there but that didn't mean anything here.On that note, I would hate to see another bad see next year it was hard enough watching this year.

It's all rainbows and puppies on the Bullspen.