• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CoachO busy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

During the last 2 UCONN games during the final four, the announcers made mention, several times, of the fact that UCONN was great at running their offense by letting the clock get down to less than 5 seconds then converting. Worked out well for them.

It sure helps when you have Napier and Boatright taking those shots down the stretch rather than the ball in the hands of McClendon. Also makes a big difference when you make a high percentage of foul shots.

At some point talent makes a difference.

Why McClendon had the ball in his hands so many times at the end of close games is beyond me.

Remind me again, how many games did we lose by just a few points.

It was funny watching UK try and slow UCONN down. They were so much faster and quicker then Kentucky is was eye popping to watch. In fact if UK didn't switch to a zone at the encouragement of Coach O, UCONN would have run Kentucky out of the building.

I do suspect that Coach O is working these guys out to see what he needs in the late signing period. He already knows he needs a PG and I suspect that Cory Allen is being taught how to play the position just in case USF can't sign a good one this spring.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Vega, why are you down on Collins? He is pretty highly regarded as a very good PG throughout the country. His biggest strength is his basketball IQ.

You don't think he can adjust to a different game?

You do realize that he has been hurt since the end of his freshmen year. If he can't get healthy that is one thing, but if he is 100% I think he should be fine in any offense.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

During the last 2 UCONN games during the final four, the announcers made mention, several times, of the fact that UCONN was great at running their offense by letting the clock get down to less than 5 seconds then converting. Worked out well for them.

It sure helps when you have Napier and Boatright taking those shots down the stretch rather than the ball in the hands of McClendon. Also makes a big difference when you make a high percentage of foul shots.

At some point talent makes a difference.

Why McClendon had the ball in his hands so many times at the end of close games is beyond me.

Remind me again, how many games did we lose by just a few points.

Too many. Not having a true pg or a true outside threat hurt in those games.

Vega, why are you down on Collins? He is pretty highly regarded as a very good PG throughout the country. His biggest strength is his basketball IQ.

You do realize that he has been hurt since the end of his freshmen year. If he can't get healthy that is one thing, but if he is 100% I think he should be fine in any offense.

I'm not down on Collins but looking at his strengths and weaknesses, it's hard not to be concerned with how he fits in a system that Coach O is used to running.

Strengths: passing, late game FT shooting,

Weakness: defense, shooting, liability on offense, struggles against physical defenses, health, plays slower then you would expect.

Certainly having Rod Strickland on staff should help advance just about any PG, but again Collins has weaknesses that neither Strickland or Coach O is use to.

The health part with AC is a concern and if he can't physical play at a higher level then ever before, it's going be a long rough going until Coach O can get his type of PG at USF.

The fact that USF is after PGs this late in the 2014 class, for me shows that there is a real concern at that position. A couple of recruiting writers that cover USF also stress the huge need to sign a PG.

If AC is the PG next season then it will be interesting to watch how Coach O and staff get what they want or need out of him. While i don't think it's hopeless that AC can fit in with the new change, it's certainly a question mark for me.

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159

I'm not down on Collins but looking at his strengths and weaknesses, it's hard not to be concerned with how he fits in a system that Coach O is used to running.

Weakness: defense, shooting, liability on offense, struggles against physical defenses, health, plays slower then you would expect.

Certainly having Rod Strickland on staff should help advance just about any PG, but again Collins has weaknesses that neither Strickland or Coach O is use to.

The health part with AC is a concern and if he can't physical play at a higher level then ever before, it's going be a long rough going until Coach O can get his type of PG at USF.

The fact that USF is after PGs this late in the 2014 class, for me shows that there is a real concern at that position. A couple of recruiting writers that cover USF also stress the huge need to sign a PG.

If AC is the PG next season then it will be interesting to watch how Coach O and staff get what they want or need out of him. While i don't think it's hopeless that AC can fit in with the new change, it's certainly a question mark for me.

I respect your take, but to say you're not down on AC and then list the pros and cons that way doesn't seem consistent. That assessment of his skills seems like a "down" one to me...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

I respect your take, but to say you're not down on AC and then list the pros and cons that way doesn't seem consistent. That assessment of his skills seems like a "down" one to me...

Most of those "weaknesses" are the results of questions about his health. I think most saw what he could do when 100% healthy and an experienced team around him. Question is can he come back to that level health wise ... which would be the reason why recruiting writers are stressing the huge need to sign a pg. You don't have a healthy true one on the team right now, although CAJ would do a good job if Holston, and the gladiator, if he signs, can come in and be effective at sg.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

AC was money when he could get into the lane and finish with that sweet tear drop or draw contact.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

Collins has not been healthy since his freshman year. If he comes back healthy he is one of the best point guards in the conference, if not the country. He was playing in a slow down offense. He was either near or at the top of the conference in both years he played, in assists. His freshmen year he averaged about the same number of points per game as Rudd did. Heath's offense did not ask him to be a big time scorer. I am not saying he will be a big time scorer.

A little confused about the "liability on defense" comment. He was in the top ten or fifteen of the conference in steals both years he played so far.

Without putting much thought into, my first thought was he wasn't so durable, but then I remembered that in each of the first two years he really hasn't come out of games. His problems have been post season surgeries. I think even in his freshmen year he didn't play until about the 5th or 6th game because he was healing from something.

As far as coach O and staff looking for a point guard, well, your back up point guard just transferred and your main guy is either going to be a junior or senior (dependent on granting of a redshirt) and has had surgery the last couple of years, since there really isn't a true back up point guard on roster I would say bringing in a point is probably a priority.

The only thing I worry about with Collins is coming back near 100%. He isn't the crazy, acrobatic shooter that Rudd is, but A healthy Anthony Collins is probably the smartest basketball player on the floor and there is no doubt he can run any offense out there. Just give him a a decent supporting cast.

Edited by usfgrad84

Collins has not been healthy since his freshman year. If he comes back healthy he is one of the best point guards in the conference, if not the country. He was playing in a slow down offense. He was either near or at the top of the conference in both years he played, in assists. His freshmen year he averaged about the same number of points per game as Rudd did. Heath's offense did not ask him to be a big time scorer. I am not saying he will be a big time scorer.

A little confused about the "liability on defense" comment. He was in the top ten or fifteen of the conference in steals both years he played so far.

Without putting much thought into, my first thought was he wasn't so durable, but then I remembered that in each of the first two years he really hasn't come out of games. His problems have been post season surgeries. I think even in his freshmen year he didn't play until about the 5th or 6th game because he was healing from something.

As far as coach O and staff looking for a point guard, well, your back up point guard just transferred and your main guy is either going to be a junior or senior (dependent on granting of a redshirt) and has had surgery the last couple of years, since there really isn't a true back up point guard on roster I would say bringing in a point is probably a priority.

The only thing I worry about with Collins is coming back near 100%. He isn't the crazy, acrobatic shooter that Rudd is, but A healthy Anthony Collins is probably the smartest basketball player on the floor and there is no doubt he can run any offense out there. Just give him a a decent supporting cas

Collins shot 51% from the field and 85% from the FT line as a freshman.

Collins shot 39% from the field and 79% from the FT line as a sophomore

Collins shot 30% from the field and 76% from the FT line as a junior

You cannot use steals to determine a great defensive player. If that was the case Allen Iverson was just as good of a defender as Michael Jordan which nobody that has watched the two player would ever dare say.

After teams adjusted to Collins by being more physical with him when they could get away with it(how many times has this guy been knocked down?) and by backing off him until he could prove he could hurt them from the perimeter, AC numbers dipped from his sensational freshman season. Those shooting numbers are unacceptable for a guy that isn't trying to hoist up a bunch of long jumpers.

Also if USF could someway, somehow get Devonte Graham, he isn't coming to USF to be a backup PG. If he isn't starting from the beginning then he will all likely be around conference time, unless Collins can show dramatic improvement on both ends of the floor. Maybe he can, we shall see.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

we need an infusion of talent

the success of the problem will depend on coach's ability to recruit