• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2014 SG Dinero Mercurius offered

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,403
  • Days Won:  5

Florida guard could be sleeper

Russ Wood
Special to Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting

Talk about it in Basketball Recruiting Board

Coaches across country are searching for sleepers to sign in the spring of 2014. Dinero Mercurius may be one.

A 6-foot-4 combo guard at Brandon (Fla.) Faith Baptist Christian School, Mercurius has been playing some as a point guard. His ability to play on and off the ball landed him his first high major offer when Stan Heath offered him a scholarship to play at USF.

"It felt good to get the offer," Mercurius told Rivals.com. "I knew Coach Heath would be at our game and I didn't want to blow that opportunity.Coach Heath likes that I can shoot the ball and that I'm a combo guard."

A native of New York, Mercurius also holds offers from UT-Martin and Southern to go along with interest from Niagara, Florida A&M, The Citadel, Florida International, Georgia Southern and East Tennessee State.

"His move from the shooting guard to the point has been the biggest reason for his success," said Faith Baptist head coach Kenny Gillion. "It improved his offensive awareness in that he sees the floor better and he improved his ball handling so that he is not just a catch and shoot player."

With Mercurius averaging 17 points and six assists in his prep season at Faith Baptist it's not difficult to see why there was a sudden rush of interest in the local talent from USF staff.

"Coach Roc (South Florida assistant coach Steve Roccaforte) and I have definitely been keeping in contact for a while," said Mercurius. "He'll check to see how I'm doing and get to know me, just building a relationship."

The combo guard recently took an unofficial visit to USF for their game against Rutgers.

"Going to the game opened my eyes a bit," he said. "We went around campus and after the game the coaches talked to me about how I can come in next season and contribute. They've made a really good impression which means a lot. I feel very confident in them."

Mercurius would like to get his commitment out of the way soon but indicated that he would like to see and learn more of what South Florida has to offer educationally before making that decision.

"I don't really have a set timetable for a decision," said Mercurius. "(USF) and I talked about going on a visit next Friday and Saturday. Most likely my mom will be with me. When it comes time to make a college choice I'll talk to my mom and my coaches and listen to their opinions. 

"I want to go somewhere that even without basketball I can succeed with my major in in my career. I'm looking for a school that really wants me and fits my playing style."

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Sounds like a reach

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Sounds like a reach

It's a reach and many remember the early reaches that Heath took at guard during the times before the facilities were in place. Those didn't work out, but USF was desperate. Fast forward to today and USF is desperate again, or more like Stan Heath is desperate because he feels like he'll be back for next season. However even he knows that another non NCAAT appearance with a new AD and he's history. Yes I feel like Heath has to make the NCAAT with the new person in charge or he's gone.

Having said that and looking at our history of reaches, we still own the kid a chance to prove himself on the high D-1 level. Those shooters that USF signed and didn't work out here went on to do much better at smaller schools because of less pressure to perform and easier competition. Let's hope that Dinero can prove that he is just a late sleeper and can produce at a high major level. I will not criticize him if he struggles with the speed, athletic ability, and/or physicality on this level that USF has to play in.

If it works then that's great as USF probably makes the NCAAT next season,  if not then the new HC will get an extra scholarship to use if he wants. I see it as a win-win situation for USF.

Another thing that is good is that this helps USF get in better with Kenny Gillion of First Baptist. Many **** good players come through that man's club.

Edited by Vega

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Sounds like a reach

It's a reach and many remember the early reaches that Heath took at guard during the times before the facilities were in place. Those didn't work out, but USF was desperate. Fast forward to today and USF is desperate again, or more like Stan Heath is desperate because he feels like he'll be back for next season. However even he knows that another non NCAAT appearance with a new AD and he's history. Yes I feel like Heath has to make the NCAAT with the new person in charge or he's gone.

Having said that and looking at our history of reaches, we still own the kid a chance to prove himself on the high D-1 level. Those shooters that USF signed and didn't work out here went on to do much better at smaller schools because of less pressure to perform and easier competition. Let's hope that Dinero can prove that he is just a late sleeper and can produce at a high major level. I will not criticize him if he struggles with the speed, athletic ability, and/or physicality on this level that USF has to play in.

If it works then that's great as USF probably makes the NCAAT next season,  if not then the new HC will get an extra scholarship to use if he wants. I see it as a win-win situation for USF.

Another thing that is good is that this helps USF get in better with Kenny Gillion of First Baptist. Many **** good players come through that man's club.

Nice assessment. It's refreshing to read input from those who look at big pictures rather than those who depend on self involved one-liners.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Wish the young man a lot of luck and success at USF. He should probably find Troy Holston asap and start working out with him. Although the thing is Mercurius convinced Coach Roc and Coach Heath to offered him by putting it on Troy Holston's HS team. Troy didn't play but still an impressive performance by Dinero. I also wonder does this commitment take away the offer to Holston's teammate and friend Jeff Garrett? Also let the speculation begin on who all will not be back at USF next season.

Dinero is also a good athlete with long arms, so he has some tools to work with. The questions are can he develop at USF and can he play on the high D-1 level consistently game after game.

Russ â€@RussHoops 

2014 Faith Baptist (FL) combo guard Dinero Mercurius just told me that he has committed to USF

Edited by Vega

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,471
  • Days Won:  422

From the link in the OP ... "He can shoot it really well," said Gillion, also coach of the South Florida-based Team Breakdown AAU squad. "I've coached probably over 100 Division I players, and he's probably the best I've ever had in terms of shooting the basketball."

Also from the article .... Auburn, Marshall and George Mason also have shown interest, Gillion said.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

"Prior to coaching at Faith Baptist, Gillon has coached on the AAU circuit for 15 years and has had over 100 players go on to play at the Division I level."

http://hardwoodhoopscentral.com/faith-baptist-christian-eagles-brandonfl

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

From the link in the OP ... "He can shoot it really well," said Gillion, also coach of the South Florida-based Team Breakdown AAU squad. "I've coached probably over 100 Division I players, and he's probably the best I've ever had in terms of shooting the basketball."

Also from the article .... Auburn, Marshall and George Mason also have shown interest, Gillion said.

We need shooters that's for sure.