• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

My question is, Why do people feel that the leaders of USF are NOT trying to get us in a better place?

Did those people ever think that nobody freaking wants us?

Would you rather those leaders say we are looking to get into so and so conference only to be shut out. Contrary to some green and gold "lovers" out there USF is NOT an elite athletics institution. Some would argue it is not an elite academic institution also, but that is another discussion

We are in the conversation. But obviously we are far behind teams like FSU and Clemson. The big name schools need to get placed first, then the rest of us will find a home. The interesting thing is the teams that seem to be in much the same place we are. One of those is Miami, who doesn't seem to be desired by the B12 or the SEC. They may end up someone's alternate, but I'm not sure they are in a much better place than we are.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

I don't see the four big-boy conferences making an exclusive playoff system where only their members are eligible (anti-trust stuff would resurface). The Pac12 can't get to 16 without raiding the BigXII and this doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon, so the 16x4 thing is off the table for now.

Sure, I can see the BigXII taking up FSU/Clemson to get to 12, and maybe ND/BYU as well (they seem to be OK with letting schools keep separate sweet TV deals), while the SEC can get to 16 with VT/NCState and the B10 can get to 16 if they should take Duke/UNC/UMD/UVA as previously suggested. This would essentially remove the BBall/Academic "snobs" from the ACC and a merger with the old-guard BigEast FBall (plus Temple) would form a decent conference with plenty of BRAND names to help it survive in ALL sports.

To be perfectly honest, the prior FBall setup was pretty much a sham, and the attraction of winning the BigEast just to play in a glorified bowl game few would watch (yeah, that includes the Orange and Sugar, anything that isn't for a national championship) was getting old. As it was, and as it will be, USF will have very little chance of playing for a national championship in football. I would be happy as long as we belong to a conference that remains visible (in ALL sports), and this means aligning ourselves with brand name schools, not just southern-based, mediocre football, no-name programs that most of our fans still wouldn't travel to see. Should we be so fortunate to join up with Miami/GT/WF/BC, and rejoin Pitt/Cuse, we would ensure visibility, viability, recruiting, and competitiveness in all of college athletics.

This post is spot on if you want to look at the landscape in a realistic way, without green and gold glasses. Great post and I'd be perfectly happy with this outcome.

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,238
  • Days Won:  0

I know we're low on the totem poll, but we should be whoring ourselves out in every way, making any concessions necessary, to get a slot in the ACC or B12. B12 is surely off the table, as it appears they'll get their next wave of teams from the ACC, but it would be a complete disaster if the ACC lost 4, and replaced those 4 with Rutgers, UConn, Cincy & Louisville. We would be the lone BCS school left behind in a jumbled mess. Niether USF nor Cincy deserve such fate, I hope things break in a way that we can move up. B1G opening up expansion again would help us quite a bit, as they'll take their members from the ACC or Rutgers/UConn.

Edited by DontPushMe

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

I know we're low on the totem poll, but we should be whoring ourselves out in every way, making any concessions necessary, to get a slot in the ACC or B12. B12 is surely off the table, as it appears they'll get their next wave of teams from the ACC, but it would be a complete disaster if the ACC lost 4, and replaced those 4 with Rutgers, UConn, Cincy & Louisville. We would be the lone BCS school left behind in a jumbled mess. Niether USF nor Cincy deserve such fate, I hope things break in a way that we can move up. B1G opening up expansion again would help us quite a bit, as they'll take their members from the ACC or Rutgers/UConn.

If FSU gets the call, then the ACC will want USF (TV, Market and Fla recruiting) to replace them. If they don't take USF then they are giving Fla to the SEC.....

JMHO....

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,238

This 2nd wave of additions is why I wish we had stayed small with our additions. Navy, Temple & Houston to stay at 8 maybe. All of these other teams we've added just put more schools on our level to compete for ACC spots. If somehow UCF gets picked ahead of us, we might as well shut it down

Edited by DontPushMe

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Big East meet ACC; Pitt and SU is at pucker level 7 right about now

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820

Pitt is actually a higher, if ND does got to Big 12 there partners for 13 & 14 would be either GT or Pitt, imo, so they are working hard right now behind the scenes also to possibly pull a TCU.

Now if **** hits the fan which conference would PItt and Cuse be better off in BE or making the move to ACC.

I say when its done the BE will be the more stable of the two with the better contract in NBC. ACC is going to have to renegotiate with ESPN when its done because if wont be worth what they just signed.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

http://sportsblogs.s...on-chatter.html

Oops: TCU AD Chris Del Conte unintentionally confirms Big 12 expansion chatter

The worst kept secret!

According to Chris Level, who is the publisher of RedRaiderSports.com and a co-host of a radio show on 104.3 FM in Lubbock; he Tweeted that Del Conte said that the once dead Big 12 "now has schools like Florida State, Clemson and Miami trying to get in."

I thought the Big 12 called FSU??

Oops Part II:

UPDATE: Per the Star-Telegram's Stefen Stevenson, Del Conte's comments were a reference to the rumor mill, not confirming school's interest in the Big 12.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Pitt is actually a higher, if ND does got to Big 12 there partners for 13 & 14 would be either GT or Pitt, imo, so they are working hard right now behind the scenes also to possibly pull a TCU.

Now if **** hits the fan which conference would PItt and Cuse be better off in BE or making the move to ACC.

I say when its done the BE will be the more stable of the two with the better contract in NBC. ACC is going to have to renegotiate with ESPN when its done because if wont be worth what they just signed.

The ultimate SHTF scenario would kill the ACC as we know it, and a BE merger (or raid the entire BE basically) would be their only option:

Big 12 gets FSU and Clemson, at the very least. ACC down to 12.

Big Ten goes after Virginia, Maryland, UNC, and Duke (or perhaps Georgia Tech and Syracuse). ACC down to 8.

SEC grabs NC State and Virginia Tech. UVA is gone so they don't care about staying connected to VT - just play a yearly out-of-conference football game and be done with it. ACC down to 6.

Notre Dame goes to the Big 12, spurning the ACC's last hope of getting a team to help others join.

At this point the ACC is down to 6 teams. The Big 12 has likely also gotten Louisville, and a combination of BYU/Cincinnati/Pittsburgh. The Pac 12 does nothing, and doesn't need to.

Big 12, SEC, and Big Ten are now all at 16 teams. ACC is at 6...maybe 5. They add USF, UConn, Rutgers, Temple...up to 9. UCF makes 10. Then they are forced to go west. Navy? Houston/SMU?

In essence, we all saw how the Big 12 was a few signatures and handshakes away from disappearing or completely mutating only to recover. It could totally work the other way around with the ACC, becoming very large and stable, only to be pilfered to the point of extinction and kicking down more dominoes once again.