• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Fans Question Force Used To Arrest Field Rushers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

USF Fans Question Force Used To Arrest Field Rushers

Skip directly to the full story.

By VALERIE KALFRIN and BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Sep 28, 2005

TAMPA - The University of South Florida's first Big East win has been marred by post-game confrontations between security and fans involving at least one spectator whom police zapped with a Taser.

In front of 29,567 people at Raymond James Stadium on Saturday, USF beat the No. 9 University of Louisville, 45-14, in USF's first victory against an opponent ranked by The Associated Press.

The celebration soured after an estimated 20 to 40 people rushed the field. Tampa police and Hillsborough County sheriff's deputies arrested seven, charging five with misdemeanors such as trespassing, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer without violence. Two people face felony charges.

Six were released Sunday from Orient Road Jail after posting bail. A seventh person was not booked into the jail.

One said he jumped onto the field, ignoring signs warning against trespassers. Others said they were pushed or fell. The Tampa Tribune received several letters and e-mail messages saying officers were overzealous.

"Nobody wanted to see what happened happen," USF assistant athletic director Scott Glaser said.

College football fans often rush the field after a significant victory and tear down the goal posts. USF fans have rushed the field at least four times, most recently in 2003 after wins against Louisville and Cincinnati.

Such behavior has been prohibited at the stadium for two years because of safety concerns, said Mickey Farrell, the Tampa Sports Authority's director of operations.

Glaser said he told students in the fourth quarter they would be arrested if they made direct efforts toward the goal posts. Tom Veit, USF's associate athletic director for external affairs, said fans may have taken Glaser's comments as permission to rush the field if they avoided the goal posts.

At future games, Glaser said, an announcement might be made to emphasize that spectators stay off the field. Also, security guards will no longer chase fans, Farrell said.

There were 145 law enforcement officers at the stadium that night, including Florida Highway Patrol troopers. There were also 125 licensed security officers.

"The idea was to arrest the first couple who came onto the field to deter the others," Tampa police Lt. Marc Hamlin said. He thinks police used the "proper amount of force." Arrestees who disagree can file a complaint with the Internal Affairs Bureau, he said.

USF alumnus Christopher Feeney, 25, of Apollo Beach, said he jumped onto the field after someone jostled him. "I patted a player on the shoulder and said, 'Good game.' The next thing I knew, my face was in the grass."

Feeney said he was zapped with a Taser three times. Hamlin said Feeney was "drive stunned" twice, meaning the Taser was held against him to deliver a jolt. Police said Feeney pushed a stadium security guard, which Feeney denies.

Jason Robb, 31, of Tampa, said fans pushed him onto the field, where officers zapped him with a Taser. A criminal report affidavit said Robb jumped. It does not say a Taser was used but that Robb was "taken to the ground" when he refused to put his hands behind his back.

USF student Christopher Smith, 21, of Tampa, was charged with felony battery on a law enforcement officer after he was accused of spitting on a deputy, which he denies.

Joel Suppa, 23, of Bradenton, faces the same charge, as well as felony resisting an officer with violence. Suppa is accused of punching a deputy, which he denies. He said he was pushed onto the field, landed on his stomach and was handcuffed.

Photo from Zonald Spinks

One of the seven people charged after Saturday's game said he jumped onto the field; others said they were pushed or fell.

Tribune photo by GREG FIGHT

University of South Florida fans celebrate the Bulls' first win against a ranked opponent Saturday. The celebration took a turn for the worse when 20 to 40 people ran onto the field.

Photo from Zonald Spinks

Officials arrested seven people after Saturday night's game at Raymond James Stadium. At least one person was stunned with a Taser.

http://news.tbo.com/news/MGB351G35EE.html

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

Photo from Zonald Spinks

The Zo-meister makes the Trib - nice!  But I don't see the picture at TBO...   ???

WAY TO GO BRETT!!

Nice to see both sides presented for the public.  I hope those students file charges and I hope the public is outraged by the treatment...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,741
  • Days Won:  3

It will be interesting to see what happens - not so much to the security officers (as I don't see anything happening there) - relative to making it absolutely clear what the 'pedestrians on the field' policy is. There was, apparently, some ambiguity relative to 'stay away from the goal posts' and rushing the field.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

Also, security guards will no longer chase fans, Farrell said.  

That is what I figured after what I saw.  Good choice.  

Good to see my name in print!   ;D

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Feeney said he was zapped with a Taser three times. Hamlin said Feeney was "drive stunned" twice, meaning the Taser was held against him to deliver a jolt. Police said Feeney pushed a stadium security guard, which Feeney denies.

Jason Robb, 31, of Tampa, said fans pushed him onto the field, where officers zapped him with a Taser. A criminal report affidavit said Robb jumped. It does not say a Taser was used but that Robb was "taken to the ground" when he refused to put his hands behind his back.

USF student Christopher Smith, 21, of Tampa, was charged with felony battery on a law enforcement officer after he was accused of spitting on a deputy, which he denies.

Joel Suppa, 23, of Bradenton, faces the same charge, as well as felony resisting an officer with violence. Suppa is accused of punching a deputy, which he denies. He said he was pushed onto the field, landed on his stomach and was handcuffed.

It's not as cut and dry as some of you would make it out to be.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

Wow, I didn't realize this was front page of the Trib.  

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

It's not as cut and dry as some of you would make it out to be.

Not surprising each side has a different story, did you expect anything different?

The funny thing is I figured this dangerous, life threatening, field storming would have been from a huge riot of a crowd causing a handful of nervous security guards to go overboard. Instead this article claims there were 145 cops and 125 security against an estimated 20-40 fans? You have GOT to be kidding me!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Not surprising each side has a different story, did you expect anything different?

No, I didn't.  But many on here were chastising the police and security, when it wasn't just kids running around the field, allegedly.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

The funny thing is I figured this dangerous, life threatening, field storming would have been from a huge riot of a crowd causing a handful of nervous security guards to go overboard. Instead this article claims there were 145 cops and 125 security against an estimated 20-40 fans? You have GOT to be kidding me!

The show of force was used to discourage any MORE from coming onto the field. Comments on this board indicated it worked ......

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

The show of force was used to discourage any MORE from coming onto the field. Comments on this board indicated it worked ......

so, first they tell the kids...go ahead enjoy yourself just stay away from the posts....then they tazer the F@ck out of them to prove a point that they shouldn't have gone. Nice