• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A lot of talk about Holtz needs his players, etc......

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

But don't good coaches (not saying Skip isn't,) but don't good coaches adapt their systems to fit the talent they have versus the other way around?

BJ is a scrambling, throw on the run, play making type QB.  A mini Vick if you will.  But our staff is trying to make him play like he's Kevin Kolb and it's taking away BJ's god given ability.  BJ needs to scramble to be effective!

This is NOT a doom & gloom thread, I think Holtz will do well here, but he needs to use what he has, not what he wishes he had.

I know these guys were recruited by Leavitt, but it's not like they were all what he really wanted either.  I'm sure he would've loved to sign all the 4 & 5 star players, but you just don't steal them away from the Florida's, Ohio State's etc.  Holtz wont either!

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  521

wrong.  they are not trying to make him like peyton manning, they are trying to make him like mike/marcus vick at vatech.  if you remember, they were primarily under-center/shotgun QB's that that the option to tuck it and run if a play breaks down.. not designed option runs if you will.

• Content Count:  720

But don't good coaches (not saying Skip isn't,) but don't good coaches adapt their systems to fit the talent they have versus the other way around?

BJ is a scrambling, throw on the run, play making type QB.  A mini Vick if you will.  But our staff is trying to make him play like he's Kevin Kolb and it's taking away bj daniels god given ability.  BJ needs to scramble to be effective!

This is NOT a doom & gloom thread, I think Holtz will do well here, but he needs to use what he has, not what he wishes he had.

I know these guys were recruited by Leavitt, but it's not like they were all what he really wanted either.  I'm sure he would've loved to sign all the 4 & 5 star players, but you just don't steal them away from the Florida's, Ohio State's etc.  Holtz wont either!

Technically they're not even running Holtz's system. Remember Holtz has had to simplify the playbook twice since spring. Holtz or Fitch aren't throwing the ball into double coverage or looking down their WR from the snap. I'm sure the play where Landi was wide open for a touchdown was designed for BJ to check to see if the safety bit on the fake screen to LL and if so throw to the 2nd check down Landi because he would be uncovered. BJ dropped back, pump fake like I'm sure was planned, the safety bit BIG TIME and then BJ proceeded not to check down and threw the ball to a wide open SU CB.

It's obvious the the players are getting a little irritated with him too. Did you see Murray getting after him when BJ tried to lob that screen pass to him and almost get him killed and almost a pick 6 if the SU defender had been paying attention to the ball and not Murray.

I'm willing to be patient this season and maybe most of next, but we've got to see some improvement in BJ this season to have any hope for next.

Guest Scherdin

It's about execution...and there wasn't a lot of it.  We missed extra points, FG's and had some stupid penalties.  Yes...Daniels was a mess and seems completely inept and has lost his confidence all together.  But the coaches are seeing things happening in practice and are feeling confident in calling the plays.  It's the players job to execute.  Which is why you are seeing the players react like Murray did, and I'm glad they are...start holding guys accountable.

Don't forget that Holtz and his staff are also trying to protect BJ since he's our only QB with any true playing experience and having him run the old offense left us with the chance of loosing him and being forced to put in a back up.

I'm still believing that this is a young team and we will do a lot of dumb things and it will show in our record...but we'll get better.

Think about it for a second, we changed out the entire staff and philosophy of our offense and defense.  The only other team that is doing that is Louisville, Cincy is still keeping the same type of systems, and they don't look so hot either.  We should have expected these types of issues, as said on other threads most of these kids were recruited for the last coaching staff.  For those that thought we were going to run through the conference and win it all...it's going to be a long season

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

please

leavitt wouldnt be winning with these guys

it is all about talent

usf needs more of it

especially at qb position

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

please

of course leavitt would be winning with these guys

it is not all about talent, it's about coaching also

usf needs more talent as do all teams that aren't ranked #1

especially at rb/wr position

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

It's about execution...

I agree and am 100% for it.  Let them begin....    :D

• Content Count:  4,501

It's about execution...

Classic line from Mckay of the Bucs.  he had more great one liners.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

It's about execution...

Classic line from Mckay of the Bucs.  he had more great one liners.

Yeah, I remembered the quote but couldn't remember who said it.  Funny that it was Mckay... 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

These two threads should be merged.....http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=75042.0

It's funny how they're about the same topic yet have polar opposite replies?

Archived