• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Skip Holtz Turns South Florida’s Paradise Lost To Paradise Saved

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Skip Holtz Turns South Florida’s Paradise Lost To Paradise Saved

Written by: MarkChisholm aka Shark on 25th February 2010

By Mark Chisholm-Contributing Writer-Football Reporters Online

Radio Co-Host Consensus Draft Services

Jim Leavitt had taken the fledgling South Florida Bulls from embryo to a force to be reckoned with in the college football world. He was closing in on securing the 15th recruiting class in the school’s football history with his eye toward finally winning the Big East, a feat that has thus far eluded the Bulls because mid-season meltdowns. Rapidly, that became the least of his worries. Allegations of Leavitt striking a player turned into investigation. Investigation turned into termination.

An opportunity lost.

Not so fast.

Skip Holtz was hired on January 14th and the next three weeks proved that he will take USF even higher. He called it ‘Fire, Aim, Ready.’ While he made it sound like it was three weeks of unbridled chaos, this was an experienced hunter stalking its prey efficiently.  Holtz proved to recruits that honesty is the best policy letting them know that he would honor any commitments made by the previous regime. But, when push came to shove and time was short he did force recruits to ‘tell us no.’ Such was the case with the quarterback position.

One of the few recruits that Holtz had his hand in was the massive but raw quarterback Jamius (juh-MY-us) Gunsby from La Grange, GA. Holtz chose Gunsby as the focus of the much needed QB in waiting over Bradenton Manatee’s Brion Carnes after the latter chose to visit more schools in the wake of Leavitt’s firing. At 6′5″ and 225 lbs, and possessing speed to get by most of his opponents in high school, Gunsby could actually push incumbent B.J. Daniels as early as, well, …now. With not even one healthy player assigned exclusively as a quarterback going into spring practice (Daniels is recovering from surgery on his non-throwing shoulder), it is not a stretch to say he could challenge for snaps in special “Tebow†like packages utilizing his considerable size and speed. At the least, he will not redshirt in 2010. It’s no secret that Holtz prefers rollout QB’s, as evidenced by the succession of the nimble and not too small Pinkney brothers when he coached at East Carolina. That will be necessary as South Florida’s offensive line continues to be the Achilles heel and no impact offensive linemen were landed with this class despite four of them being signed.

The running back position received three new candidates in the ‘who will be the primary ball carrier now’ sweepstakes? Michael Hayes from Blinn College in Texas seems the most ready to contribute immediately. Quantity over quality worked out for the best, especially in light of International Bowl star Mike Ford’s recent dismissal from the team.

In addition to Gunsby, the following two gentlemen are definitely players we will still be talking about in two years.

Terrence Mitchell will provide a continuation of great cornerback play that the Bulls have enjoyed in recent years. He comes from Tampa Hillsborough, the same school that produced NFL defensive backs Juran Bolden and J.R. Reed. His coach Earl Garcia, an area legend, told me, “I think Terrence is every bit as good as our best [we’ve had here].†A heat-seeking missile, Mitchell stands out as a more than willing tackler with speed to burn.

Defensive tackle Todd Chandler of Miami Northwestern was eagerly awaited by Louisville boosters as being one of the prize catches in new coach Charlie Strong’s first recruiting class. A week before signing day it was rumored that he spoke with the Cardinals and was considered a near lock. After an exhaustive tour of the recruiting process that saw Chandler commit to Miami almost two years ago and be pursued by Florida State among others, he became convinced that Skip Holtz was the man he wanted to play for. Chandler is the highest rated prospect to sign with the Big East Conference and much will be expected of him. He is all motor. His stature, barely 6 foot tall and weighing in at over 290 pounds, necessitates quickness as well as power to be effective.

What could have turned out to be a recruiting disaster given the timing of Leavitt’s dismissal, Holtz restored the hope of Bulls fans quickly and brought in a talented and bountiful crop. Scout.com had its first rankings with USF at #47. Rivals.com ranked the class at #62.

Really though, do these rankings mean squat? Florida State has had a top twenty recruiting class nearly every year since I can remember and how have they fared recently?

Coach Holtz had this to say,“You don’t win games in February. I’ve had five stars that couldn’t play dead in a Western, and two stars that played as hard as anyone.â€

I think what Coach Holtz is emphasizing is that it is not the bricks you use, but how you use them that will pave the road to paradise.

Link

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,554
  • Days Won:  29

Coach Holtz had this to say,“You don’t win games in February. I’ve had five stars that couldn’t play dead in a Western, and two stars that played as hard as anyone.â€

Heam say this last evening ... cracked me up.

;D

• Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

Another one for the Holtzisms catalogue!

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

While he made it sound like it was three weeks of unbridled chaos, this was an experienced hunter stalking its prey efficiently. 

Love this line.  Hope he is right.  He sure seems to be making all the moves that a new coach should be making. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,465
  • Days Won:  422

Great article except for this blatantly inaccurate statement:

With not even one healthy player assigned exclusively as a quarterback going into spring practice (Daniels is recovering from surgery on his non-throwing shoulder),

QYNGXQTMVUUAVDQ.20090827003843.jpg

• Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

With not even one healthy player assigned exclusively as a quarterback going into spring practice (Daniels is recovering from surgery on his non-throwing shoulder),

Eppes has been working at Safety.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,465
  • Days Won:  422

Eppes has been working at Safety.

I could have sworn I heard Skip mention him yesterday on JP's show when talking about the qb situation ... if not, it was a great article with no disclaimers.  ;)

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Another one for the Holtzisms catalogue!

Done and catalogued. I don't know what we're going to do when it gets up to 30 or 40 of these.

Archived