• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Museum of Holtz Sayings

Guest nybullsfan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nybullsfan

"I know we got to roll our sleeves up and climb into this, but I can sleep when I’m dead. There’s too much to get doneâ€

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

the turtle on a fencepost is classic....

you should edit the original post with quotes instead of a new response. this way people can comment on the quotes.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

BEAT FLORIDA!!!

That's why I'm here.

Guest nybullsfan

the turtle on a fencepost is classic....

you should edit the original post with quotes instead of a new response. this way people can comment on the quotes.

done, thx!

Guest nybullsfan

Daddy Holtz deserves some love too!

One-on-one with Lou Holtz

By Jeremy Fowler Orlando Sentinel

7:20 p.m. EST, January 17, 2010

Lou Holtz, the former Notre Dame coach, talks life, the art of coaching, chest-beating, Urban Meyer and son Skip Holtz's move to USF. Holtz is now an ESPN football analyst.

On life habits: "I don't drink water, haven't drank water in 40 years. It has no taste, and if it does, it's not good for you. I don't exercise. I only have so many breaths left. If there's going to be heavy breathing, it's going to be in my wife's bedroom. I just have an enthusiasm for life. I'm going to have fun. I think it's contagious."

On how the coaching profession has changed: "You didn't feel threatened by everybody. Most I ever made was $135,000. It wasn't about money. You just enjoyed what you were doing and you had a security about what you were doing. You didn't have the Internet and everybody getting fired and offensive. On Friday night after we put the team down, we'd go have drinks with the media … It's changed, and it hasn't changed for the better."

On showboating players: "Guys are getting beat 34-0 and they make a tackle and get up and pound their chest. Hey, son, you're getting beat 34-0. I don't mind you pounding your chest when you do something great, as long as when you miss a tackle you're going to say 'Hey, that was me. I screwed up.' "

On player-to-coach interaction in light of player mistreatment involving former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach and former USF coach Jim Leavitt, who were both fired: "There's no reason to grab a player or do anything. I grabbed a facemask on a player because I wanted to make sure I had his undivided attention. He had done something to a player that wasn't reflective of the game we teach … I probably shouldn't have done that. Things were different, society is different, but the game is still sacrifice and togetherness."

On the USF job that went to son Skip Holtz: "If they called me, I'd consider going back. You're in a BCS conference, you're in the state of Florida where you have so many great athletes, and you're in a school in South Florida, you live in Tampa, and you play in Raymond James Stadium. What more do you want?

On being "very proud" of Skip Holtz, the former East Carolina coach: "He's done a marvelous job and he's done it the right way. He just told me yesterday he had 40 or some athletes make over a 3.0 (grade-point) average. They set records in attendance last three years in a row … won the (Conference USA) back-to-back."

On unrealistic expectations that caused Florida coach Urban Meyer to take a leave of absence: "Once you reach the top, the pinnacle, you're supposed to be perfect. All of a sudden you win 23 and it's like, my goodness gracious, they are going to give up the sport."

Copyright © 2010, Orlando Sentinel

Source:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/os-grid-one-to-one-0118-20100117,0,7430712.story

• Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

I hate those f-ing turtles!

Everyone I see...straight on a fence post!

• Content Count:  297
  • Days Won:  2

I only have so many breaths left. If there's going to be heavy breathing, it's going to be in my wife's bedroom.

.... can't envision Lou Holtz in that position, folks.

GO BULLS!!!!!!!!!!

Guest nybullsfan

Even wife Jennifer gets in the game

I would've been fine if he had gone into insurance. I fell in love with the guy. The reason I love my life so much' date=' the reason our marriage works, is my husband includes me in the job. Our family is part of the puzzle, just like the players. [b']If he wanted to get out of football now, I think I'd knock him over the head because he has allowed me to be a mother to all these boys.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jan/16/so-who-skip-holtz/

Archived