• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UConn game will be on ESPN . . . on a Sunday

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Per Greg's Blog:

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

More ESPN: USF-UConn moved to Sunday

I'm telling you, ESPN really likes USF football.

The Bulls now have six 2008 games scheduled for broadcast on ESPN or ESPN2 this fall, as USF's home finale against Connecticut has been backed up a day to Sunday, Nov. 23, when it will have an 8 p.m. kickoff on ESPN.

The game's only football competition will be the NBC prime-time NFL game, which has the Chargers hosting the Colts. (The Bucs are at Detroit that afternoon.) The Sunday kickoff won't create a short week for either team because both have the next week off; USF finishes the season at West Virginia on Dec. 7, while Connecticut plays host to Pittsburgh the same day.

That gives the Bulls four non-Saturday games this fall, with a Friday game against Kansas on Sept. 12 and Thursday games in October against Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. It's reasonable to think USF and Connecticut could both be in the hunt for the Big East title, so this game could have major conference ramifications, with most of the conference off the following week. Thanksgiving, by the way, is Nov. 27 this fall -- that's a Thursday, but I think it might get moved to Friday so it can air on ESPN2 ...

Posted by Greg Auman at 12:19:34 AM on April 23, 2008 | Permalink  | Comments (0)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,448
  • Days Won:  13

Nice

• Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

WOW!  I always thought that was a definite no-no. . . .guess the NFL must have approved?

The NFL has no say in the matter... This is the third season for ESPN Sunday Night College Football...

The reason they never did this before is because of TV. The conventional wisdom held that no one would watch a college game when there was a pro game on TV.  Well, when ESPN lost their Sunday Night coverage and ABC transferred Monday Night over to ESPN, the sports network needed something for Sunday Nights after Baseball season.

So, from mid October through Thanksgiving, ESPN plays a single Sunday night game.

This is also the Bulls second Sunday Night game...  USF played Cincinnati on a Sunday night in 2006....

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Two cultural phenomena created by ESPN and its need to fill airtime on its group of 24/7 sports networks:

poker.184.jpg

America loving poker.

and

tb_usf2_450.gif

America loving the Bulls.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I guess I should put in for that Monday off right now. I can see that being a great day. Maybe some golf in the morning, then start drinking, watch some football, and sleep all day Monday.

As for the NFL, I think that the rule is exactly the opposite of the NFL "approving" the game. I don't think there is a rule for Sunday's, but the NFL has to have NCAA's approval to play any games on Saturday during the college season. I think this came up a few years ago with Miami or Tampa where a hurricane was coming and everyone was thinking that they could play the game a day early, but the NCAA has full rights to Saturday. I don't think the NFL has an exclusive deal like that for Sunday.

The NCAA does not have "full rights" to Saturday -- just how would that agreement work?  Who would the other party be, the NFL?  I doubt that, the NCAA does not have much power to regulate such things.

In fact, the NCAA does not even control the football TV contracts, thanks to a 1980s Supreme Court decision.  The conferences control the TV contracts and the teams control stadium leases.  My guess is any kind of contract between the NCAA and the NFL (or someone else) would be just as unenforceable as the old NCAA television rules.

My take: if the NFL wants the Buccaneers to play in RayJay on a Saturday when USF has a road game, more than likely there is nothing the Big East, USF, or the NCAA can do about it.

• Content Count:  1,457
  • Days Won:  0

ESPN should like Bulls ball on Saturdays at 12, 3, or 7!

All this unorthodox playing time will surely take its toll on our team ~ I say stick to Saturdays!

• Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Ok by me.  One less chance of a game getting moved to a NOON kickoff.  

• Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

I think the NFL does not compete with college (saturday) or high school games (friday) out of the kindness of their hearts.

No really.

That and if people don't play/support Friday and Saturday football, fewer talent will end up playing Sundays.

Archived