• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

In defense of Greg...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  32
  • Days Won:  0

Lotta Greg trashing in posts here...I feel compelled to support him.

I'm sure it hurts all of you to hear this story as much as it does me, but Greg and the SPT did NOTHING wrong here.

At the very least, these are possibly credible accusations of the academic integrity of our program. Alone that i snewsworthy. If there is ever anything like what she is saying happening, I want to know about it and I want it stopped. Man up and face when things go wrong in your organization. Sweep stories like this under the rug, and in a couple of years you'll snowball up into what FSU has right now.

As for their family, they CHOSE to let USF use them in the USF marketing machine. These talking points about his story don't magically fall into ESPN's hands. He CHOSE to make his family public figures. Fair game in the eyes of the law and journalism. You can't have it both ways.

As an example, Leavitt went through a long divorce, you never read about it in either paper. Why, Leavitt chose not to make his family public. They respected it, and you saw nothing for years until he remarried.

Finally, she CHOSE, to speak to the paper. It would be nore unethical to sit on it. Stop for a minute and imagine it is a far away program. You might see it differently.

As far as the content of what these two have have said, I'm sure that as is usual it is all part truth, part lie. Time will tell. I am sure any academic impropriety is limited to her acitons in Bushnell. It has always seemed to me Leavitt has run a clean program.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

I believe Greg has always been good about reporting the good and the bad...its news and they sell news

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,575
  • Days Won:  423

As an example, Leavitt went through a long divorce, you never read about it in either paper. Why, Leavitt chose not to make his family public. They respected it, and you saw nothing for years until he remarried.

Are divorce proceedings Public Record?

• Content Count:  1,991

If he didnt write it, Brett would have, lets not kid ourselves. I dont like the story either and I know Greg was torn whether or not to post it, but thats his job and if one of us didnt do our job what would happen.

If he didnt write it, Brett would have, lets not kid ourselves. I dont like the story either and I know Greg was torn whether or not to post it, but thats his job and if one of us didnt do our job what would happen.

Would it have been HIS job if there was no mention of the possible academic fraud?

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

If writing about someone else's personal life were my job, I wouldn't call myself a sportswriter and I'd probably look for a more noble profession.  I'm surprised Greg or the Times didn't let some other goof "write the story" to keep an otherwise reputable beat writer's work off of the gossip pages.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

I've been waiting to see if there will be a copycat story at TBO.  A "how low can you go" contest it could become.  Let's hope there is no further intrusion into these people's lives and that the Times feels that they have done their job by questioning USF about the claim Mrs. Moffitt makes regarding her unethical and fraudulent activity.

If writing about someone else's personal life were my job, I wouldn't call myself a sportswriter and I'd probably look for a more noble profession.  I'm surprised Greg or the Times didn't let some other goof "write the story" to keep an otherwise reputable beat writer's work off of the gossip pages.

I disagree it was a story about a USF player, Greg is the USF beat writer, what do you think his boss would have told him if he would have found out that Greg could have posted a story of this magnitude and didnt & waited for the rival newspaper to get it out first. 

I cant imagine the job of a sports journalist is to simply write about positive stories of their assigned team, we all know negative news is what is reported everyday on the news channels and papers and negativity or gossip is what sells, his goal & the times goal for their paper is to sell and increase subscribers.

I'm holding out that the only reason Greg wrote it was because of the possible implications to the Athletic Department pertaining to the ghost written papers ..... If not for that there is absolutely no level headed reason to intrude upon the life a college player, involving a matter like this, who has played his last game for the school.

I've been waiting to see if there will be a copycat story at TBO.  A "how low can you go" contest it could become.  Let's hope there is no further intrusion into these people's lives and that the Times feels that they have done their job by questioning USF about the claim Mrs. Moffitt makes regarding her unethical and fraudulent activity.

I have noticed alot of times between the 2 papers with regard to USF, there are not copycat stories other than game stories......obviously the Moffits didnt believe much intrusion was taking place since they both gave plenty of direct quotes for the story.

Archived