• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

lets recruit this guy.... Crystal River HS QB...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

CRYSTAL RIVER (Bay News 9) -- Crystal River High senior quarterback Shay Newcomer had no clue he was closing in on a state single game yardage record Friday night.

His team was in a tight Class 3A playoff contest with Williston and all that mattered was winning the game.

In the process, Newcomer threw for 585 yards. In all, he had 645 total yards from scrimmage. Both marks are state high school records, according to his coach, Anthony Paradiso.

On the first pass from scrimmage, Newcomer threw a 76-yard touchdown. He said he knew then it was going to be a good night, but not a record-breaking night.

"I had no clue that it was even that close," said Newcomer, who had not thrown for 300 yards in any game this year.

"It's the first time in my career playing and coaching that I've seen a kid throw for over 500 yards," Paradiso said.

Crystal River won the high-scoring affair, 53-49, and plays North Marion in a seocnd round game Friday.

The state passing record had just been broken last month by a quarterback from Fort Myers. Newcomer broke it by two yards.

Records like individual passing in a single game or total offense aren't kept by the Florida High School Athletic Association, but rather by a sportswriter with the Orlando Sentinel. Paradiso is offering the game film so the records can be made official.

Information from Bay News 9's partner, the Citrus County Chronicle, was used in this report.

• Content Count:  296
  • Days Won:  0

That's my alma mater, went up to see their last regular season game last friday and he looked pretty impressive. Reminded me a lot of Grothe. During the announcements of the seniors they said he was looking at ivy league schools.

• Content Count:  743

Yeah... I went there for high school too. No need to recruit anyone from there. Impressive to see him with those stats considering he has no one to throw to.

• Content Count:  296

The team has improved a lot this year over the last few. They went 8-2(won 8 straight after dropping the first two)

I know. I've got A LOT of ties to the program. Stepdad is the announcer, dad used to coach there, played there, etc.

They still just don't have that much talent. Its impressive what they've done this year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,492
  • Days Won:  13

, who had not thrown for 300 yards in any game this year.

um, why do we want to waste a scholarship?

, who had not thrown for 300 yards in any game this year.

um, why do we want to waste a scholarship?

exactly

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Better question is why isn't this on the Recruiting Board or State of Florida Board?  Kid sounds like a dime a dozen to be honest.

Mods you're slipping.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf needs to recruit a big school qb

Archived