• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Couch fires?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

It sure was! wish i had a picture to post of it but it was put up before i could get one. The cops caught some guy and there was a crowd of about 20 people chanting let him go and i believe they did. It was pretty funny

• Content Count:  1,251

def couches haha......cops came with the fire extingusher to put it out......and it didnt work haha

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,556
  • Days Won:  29

I just saw that on the news.

Classic !  ;D

• Content Count:  5

i couldnt figure out why couches? does it mean something or is it just random??

From the UGA student newspaper in 2005....

West Virginia brings unique traditions

SAM STEINBERG

The initial outsiders' picture of West Virginia is of mountains and woods.

That perception may be because Georgia's Sugar Bowl opponent has no problem in promoting its Appalachian traditions.

This unique mountain culture caused West Virginia to break away from Virginia in the Civil War because of its different economic and social systems, said John Inscoe, a history professor at Georgia.

"West Virginia state has its own unique culture," Inscoe said. "No other state can claim to be fully in the mountains of Appalachia."

Derek Fincham, a West Virginia graduate student, is the team's mascot - the bearded Mountaineer.

"The Mountaineer is the emblem of the state and our hard working attitude," Fincham said. "Our ancestors were mountaineers."

Fincham added that this hard working attitude is ingrained in the people of West Virginia and the football team is a paragon of this mountaineer mindset.

The Mountaineer's costume is a leather suit, a coonskin hat and a rifle. Fincham said the tradition started in the 1920s when fans would dress up in coonskins and bring their muskets to the games.

West Virginia adopted the Mountaineer as its official mascot in 1936.

Fincham, in his second year as the mascot, said he has made over 375 appearances.

West Virginia fans have other traditions as well, such as their fight song, "Hail West Virginia."

But there are some traditions the school isn't proud of. One infamous tradition, burning couches after victories, has received some media attention over the years.

"We don't consider it a tradition," West Virginia spokeswoman Becky Loftsted said.

Students received e-mails from West Virginia officials condemning the tradition.

Loftsted said that couch burning is like other college celebrations that sometimes get out of control and this year there have been no couch-burning incidents after football games.

So while Georgia fans shouldn't expect to see any couches on fire in the streets of Atlanta, they can expect to see plenty of West Virginia fans dressed in gold and blue.

"We turn out fans wherever we go," Fincham said.

Link

• Content Count:  348

def couches haha......cops came with the fire extingusher to put it out......and it didnt work haha

Yes and when it torched back up we were all chanting "Couch Wins!"    absolutly classic.

• Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

i couldnt figure out why couches? does it mean something or is it just random??

Yep. They burn couches for big wins.... we decided in honor of them we would lit a few couches on fire for their defeat :D

• Content Count:  2,461

It sure was! wish i had a picture to post of it but it was put up before i could get one. The cops caught some guy and there was a crowd of about 20 people chanting let him go and i believe they did. It was pretty funny

couch3zz4.jpg

couch2fd1.jpg

couch5wi1.jpg

Archived