• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FAMU every 3 years ?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,638
  • Days Won:  29

From Brett's blog:

The Bulls initially were hoping to host Florida A&M in 2008, but negotiations broke down and USF had to go in another direction. USF still hopes to get Florida A&M back on its future schedules, preferably every three years.

Link located on top of page.

This would be sweet as our 1AA game!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

why?

broke down?

why is usf dealing with so many 1aa schools?

doesnt usf eventually want to be a top 25 team

you need to beat top 25 teams but first

you need to schedule top 25 teams

why would usf ever call florida am again after negotiations broke down?

Guest JulmisteForPrez

If we absolutely HAVE to play a 1-AA program each year (which I would debate anyhow), it would be good if it were FAMU.

But I still disagree that we have to do this every year.  And certainly not two 1-AA games in a single season.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,638
  • Days Won:  29

...  And certainly not two 1-AA games in a single season.

Don't see this happening.

I don't like 1AA teams either, but it will be the way until we can PAY for better teams ... it's as simple as that.

And as Greg put earlier, SOS doesn't effect as much with bad 1A teams.

And we have a tough enough time getting BCS teams to visit Tamplona.

USF is NOT doing anymore Pay games.

Who is expecting a Nat'l Championship team anytime soon (besides me  8-) ) ? We see that we have our hands full with teh teams we have scheduled now. I think it is better for the PROGRAM to win and go to Bowl Games than to get in over our head.

Marketing

Bowl Games > Losing to Name Team

We are still working on the BIG picture for the USF Football program.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

What a waste of a week... there is no upside to this game except at the gate. Eventually this will hurt USF (see UF's scheduling last week). Don't say some of us didn't point this out. Until we've proven ourselves, we should do the away games for cash. I'd rather play Kansas on the road, then sit through a FAMU game at home. There's a reason why those players play at FAMU and not at USF. I must admit being on the West coast near Smazza has expanded my thinking. Normally, I would be like ok, that is a wise decision by the USF machine... but now... as soon as I read the headline... I was like, are you freaking kidding me.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,764
  • Days Won:  3

Sooooo....I reckon the burning question on America's mind is, which do we value more:

1. a game that does bump attendance more than some of our conferece foes (FAMU)...

2. we forego one more home game per year, and play a 'big time' school on the road.

Looks to me that if you want six home games per year, it's gonna have to be IAA schools.

On the other hand, if you don't mind five home games, you could get a pretty entertaining

road trip.

Then again, this is a business...which one does more to pad the bottom line?

admit being on the West coast near Smazza has expanded my thinking.

...which I assume means, since you don't have the ability to swing by RayJ on a regular basis,

you'd be inclined to get your bulls-fix via big-screen, hence more televised road games is preferable to a home IAA. So, is that really "expanded" your thinking or is it a way for [highlight]you [/highlight]to get more bulls per anum?  ;)

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,827
  • Days Won:  22

This has been discussed so many times that i should just copy,save and paste the replies.

When NCAA added a 12th game most schools added an extra home game. The Schools with BIG money bought the lower level 1A schools for home games only. see Buffalo cancelling going to WV to go to a Big10 school that would pay them more money. USF and others could add 1AA teams for a home game only. Schools are looking for an easy win at HOME, they will not be spending 800,000 to 1 mill ( the going rate) to bring a 1A team for a home only visit that COULD beat them.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,764
  • Days Won:  3

^^^ which could be interpreted to say that the Bulls are no longer a desirable visitor in a game in which we could beat [insert big-name school here].  Then I guess we need to be asking, if we're stuck with IAA games henceforth, are all IAA games created equal? I don't recall any IAA school bringing the interest that FAMU did. And I think Hofstra, Georgia Southern etc. would be more entertaining than the fodder of Elon, Tennesse-Crossroads, etc.

If we absolutely HAVE to play a 1-AA program each year (which I would debate anyhow), it would be good if it were FAMU.

But I still disagree that we have to do this every year.  And certainly not two 1-AA games in a single season.

Where on earth do you see two I-AA games in a season?

Moreover, it has been reported that Jim Leavitt has said USF will be playing a I-AA team at home EVERY YEAR as long as he is our coach.  You don't like it, you can send an email to football@admin.usf.edu.