• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is it bothering people, or is it just me?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  297
  • Days Won:  2

The fact that (pardon the guesstimate) it was 80-20 FSU for fanbase? I'm not counting the student section since it's part of the culture and you'd expect your kids to show up. But everything past the north end zone was entirely garnet. Let's not make that red seat excuse, it was filled. White shirts were a push, but you'd still have to err on the side of Fla State.

I can deal with the loss. I can deal with FSU walmart t-shirt high school dropout singing the out of tune warchant in our student section (how'd they make it in?).

I can't deal with how mismatched we were. I saw pockets of green, but when the war chant came on I had to take a look at the bend right arms of the stadium. It was sickening. In our own house :( Sorry guys, but that is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, low points in this history of our program.

Some might come back and say "oh, it was 60/40, 50/50", but it sure didn't feel like that. Student section aside, we were in the minority.

Hate to be a debbie downer, but that's how I feel 12 hours later. Still love my Bulls, and will see you all at Syracuse! (unless you sell it to an Orange fan) :/

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  425
  • Days Won:  0

A lot of USF season ticket holders "sold out" on this game and made a nice profit. I give props to all the season ticket holders that stuck this one out and showed up in force at the tailgate (great tailgates all around the stadium) and showed up with their lungs. Even though we were pretty much out numbered, we in the south endzone gave our all. Great atmosphere nonetheless and the FSU fans were great and probably the nicest visiting fans we've ever had. Let's face it, our two losses before this game killed any buzz in the USF domain and FSU is looking at a potential NC year (with a ton of their Alumni living in this part of the state). It bothered me a little, but I totally understand why the FSU fans paid the big money to be there and our fans sold out. Now if it was a #4 team from out of state that showed up with that many fans, that would be a different story.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574

The fact that (pardon the guesstimate) it was 80-20 FSU for fanbase? I'm not counting the student section since it's part of the culture and you'd expect your kids to show up. But everything past the north end zone was entirely garnet. Let's not make that red seat excuse, it was filled. White shirts were a push, but you'd still have to err on the side of Fla State.

I can deal with the loss. I can deal with FSU walmart t-shirt high school dropout singing the out of tune warchant in our student section (how'd they make it in?).

I can't deal with how mismatched we were. I saw pockets of green, but when the war chant came on I had to take a look at the bend right arms of the stadium. It was sickening. In our own house :( Sorry guys, but that is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, low points in this history of our program.

Some might come back and say "oh, it was 60/40, 50/50", but it sure didn't feel like that. Student section aside, we were in the minority.

Hate to be a debbie downer, but that's how I feel 12 hours later. Still love my Bulls, and will see you all at Syracuse! (unless you sell it to an Orange fan) :/

I have to agree with the 80/20. The east side o the stadium looked almost all FSU past the HOT. An occasional white shirt was visible, the south end zone had a few pockets of green and there were FSU fans all around us I counted only 16 USF fans and over 20 Noles in the first 4 rows in seats 13-24.

• Topic Count:  2,324
  • Content Count:  21,267
  • Days Won:  10

We don't have a solid fan base yet. Lot of people who are still fans of other schools first.

• Topic Count:  2,324
  • Content Count:  21,267
  • Days Won:  10

Perfect example. The two girls and guys next to me were basically FSU fans first. However, one of the girls went to USF and graduated and one of the guys went to USF and graduated, however both our Florida fans. Reason, my guess is they are probably were fans when USF did not have a team.

• Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  297

We don't have a solid fan base yet. Lot of people who are still fans of other schools first.

We had a solid fan base in '07 vs. WVU ;)

It's understandable. Winning solves everything. Had we have been 4-0 going into this game, it would've been a different story and the split would've probably evened out.

But concerning fanbases, those garnet and gold fanbases we saw yesterday grew up with wire-to-wire and AP top 5 finishes for a decade, so they'll stick by their team no matter what. Same with Gators, or state schools who have been around since the Civil War. When we went up there after their BYU loss and coming to the end of the Bowden era, there were what -- about 3k who sold their tickets, as opposed to 20k of ours who sold theirs? Says something about the loyalty of the rest of their fanbase

I am concerned for the future about bringing up a fanbase when 4-8 is all we have at South Florida. I should rephrase that as "lack there of a..."

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

We had a beginnings of a decent fan base, but it was still very fragile.

The boring product of 2010 followed by a bad year last year combined with a worse start this year has killed whatever development was started.

We haven't won a home game against an FBS team in over 12 months. We haven't won a home BE game in 2 years. We have a 3 game losing streak going now.

In a game where you have the # 4 ranked team in the nation against a team that is ranked 118 out of 120 teams in some statistical categories, is it any wonder why people that may have had family or lifelong ties or just grew up fans of a national brand like FSU would be rooting for them?

When it comes down to it, football is a fun distraction for fans. People want to have something to get excited about and to make them feel good with the team they root for. No one wants to go through this misery. I don't blame people.

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

FSU has national championships. They are in contention for one now. They dominated the ACC for years. They have played some of the best games in history against Miami and Florida. Their former coach is now the winningest coach in college history. They have a ton of players in the NFL and former players like Warrick Dunn and Derrick Brooks. Many that went to USF when I attended in the 80s took their USF student parking sticker and put it on upside down because they would rather go to FSU My sister went to undergrad at FSU and grad school at USF. People I know that supported USF getting a program are FSU alumni and sent their kids to FSU but living in Sarasota they wanted college football close by. The 80/20 or whatever ratio is a realistic expectation. But this board is filled with probably the most unrealistic fans I've seen.

Edited by slick1ru2
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

We had a solid fan base in '07 vs. WVU ;)

It's understandable. Winning solves everything. Had we have been 4-0 going into this game, it would've been a different story and the split would've probably evened out.

But concerning fanbases, those garnet and gold fanbases we saw yesterday grew up with wire-to-wire and AP top 5 finishes for a decade, so they'll stick by their team no matter what. Same with Gators, or state schools who have been around since the Civil War. When we went up there after their BYU loss and coming to the end of the Bowden era, there were what -- about 3k who sold their tickets, as opposed to 20k of ours who sold theirs? Says something about the loyalty of the rest of their fanbase

I am concerned for the future about bringing up a fanbase when 4-8 is all we have at South Florida. I should rephrase that as "lack there of a..."

Actually the Noles faced the Bulls after a 54-28 win at BYU, not a loss. The loss at Ball State was devastating to this fan base, no doubt about it.

Edited by swamprat

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,937
  • Days Won:  12

A lot of USF season ticket holders "sold out" on this game and made a nice profit. I give props to all the season ticket holders that stuck this one out and showed up in force at the tailgate (great tailgates all around the stadium) and showed up with their lungs. Even though we were pretty much out numbered, we in the south endzone gave our all. Great atmosphere nonetheless and the FSU fans were great and probably the nicest visiting fans we've ever had. Let's face it, our two losses before this game killed any buzz in the USF domain and FSU is looking at a potential NC year (with a ton of their Alumni living in this part of the state). It bothered me a little, but I totally understand why the FSU fans paid the big money to be there and our fans sold out. Now if it was a #4 team from out of state that showed up with that many fans, that would be a different story.

nothing else I would add. Given the whole big picture, I get it. I wish that stadium was painted green and gold, wish we won, wish we were 5-0 now, but I'm not down or out on the bulls. Especially not over the long term.