• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

PG Anthony Collins

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

TBO_USFBulls

Anthony Collins, a PG out of Westbury Christian HS in Houston, Texas, scheduled to make official visit to #USF this weekend. about 7 hours ago via web

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

"I like how they push the ball, and how they have athletic wings I can get the ball to," Collins said Thursday night. "It's a nice place with nice weather, the coaching staff seems real nice, and I love the Big East. And they're in need of a point guard."

facepalm.jpg Talk about being fed the beans, jeez!

This is an example of our recruiting under Stan Heath. Baylor is recruiting this guy as a backup, stop gap, role player type. Meanwhile USF is recruiting this guy to be a starter. Same thing with Grooms too. The good teams already have their most important recruiting done, and usually this time of the year they are just looking for roster fills or insurance when they reach for 2 stars. On occasion the diamond in the rough can be found though, which Heath is hoping for and needing to happen if he's back next season.

• Content Count:  247
  • Days Won:  0

Saw a video on YouTube of him shooting a couple years ago and he has one of the ugliest shots I've ever seen. Hopefully he has corrected it because it won't fly in the big east.

• 1 month later...

Heath made a home visit today and Collins will choose between USF and Baylor.

Please choose Baylor! Nope on 2nd thought please choose USF! -

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

MARCH 22, 2011

Heath makes home visit to Houston point guard

Things look promising in USF's recruitment of Anthony Collins, the point guard from Westbury Christian in Houston, who got an in-home visit from Bulls coach Stan Heath on Tuesday and is expected to decide this weekend between the Bulls and Baylor.

"I was there, and the visit went really well," Westbury Christian coach Russell Carr said Tuesday night.

Several things point in USF's favor -- Carr said Collins has not made an official visit to Baylor, nor has he had an in-home visit from Baylor coaches as Heath did Tuesday. Carr said it's possible Collins will squeeze in a visit before making his decision, but the fact that he hasn't scheduled that visit in the five weeks since he came to USF seems telling.

USF, of course, technically has all three of its 2010 point guards due back next season, though starter Anthony Crater will be sidelined six months following shoulder surgery, and backups Shedrick Haynes and LaVonte Dority are potential transfers, simply based on their lack of playing time in their first season at USF.

Heath has been recruiting junior college point guards as well, including Chipola College's Sam Grooms and Southern Idaho's Pierre Jackson. It remains to be seen how many players the Bulls will add this spring, or how many scholarship players won't be back next season to free up scholarships for those late additions to USF's recruiting class.

Posted by Greg Auman at 11:06:00 pm on March 22, 2011 in Men's basketball Recruiting | Permalink |

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/heath-makes-home-visit-houston-point-guard

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

He's #25 in white.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Looks like he likes the crossover dribble. I saw him hit one 3 in there and hit a few 16-18 footers.

Doesn't sound like Baylor is to serious about recruiting Collins. I know the Bears were looking at others so maybe Collins is a fall back option for them. He's USF bound folks.

Pierre Jackson is by far and away the better option left out there that USF is attached to.

Archived