• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BULLSEYE Magazine

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,658
  • Days Won:  29

Most if not all of us remember this publication by Dave Glaser.

Just wanted to do a small poll of those that would like to see it back.

Go BULLS !!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest S. Bien

The person that typed "NO" should be shot on the spot or is a Knight.  I still have numerous copies of Bulleye in storage.  Dave did a superb job with that publication, he sufficiently addressed all the sports, had great pictures, it was an excellent publication, and if it was properly supported it could have really taken off.

At this very moment, if Dave wanted to do it again, I would guarantee to be the first one to sign-up for a 5 year subscription!!!  I'd even pay $65 annually, especially if he could do it like he originally planned with weekly editions during football, and monthly the rest of the year!

Boy do I miss getting that in the mail each week!!!!!

By the way, all of you Bulls or fledgling Bulls need to subscribe to Bullseye website.  You can still use this website as your primary posting retreat, and that for informative news, and information.   If we can get Dave's subscription levels up a few more 100, like a UT, or UF, then he can devote more time and effort exclusively to USF.  Who knows if we all put in the effort, and subscribe maybe we can make Bullseye his full-time job- like the other big schools have....oh can you imagine the joy of having a reporter like Dave devoted exclusively to Bulls News.  

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

I voted no, so if you want to shoot...take aim.

I don't believe a printed magazine has anything over what's available on the web. I believe it went belly-up over finances anyway, but with the advent of the www...you'd have to have a serious pent up demand for print media to cost justify ink-n-paper again.

You may want to cough up $65 for what is, in reality, a hardcopy of what's available on the web, but I'd bet you're in the minority. ;)

BTW: I subscribed for a few years before it passed away.

Guest S. Bien

I don't believe a printed magazine has anything over what's available on the web. I believe it went belly-up over finances anyway, but with the advent of the www...you'd have to have a serious pent up demand for print media to cost justify ink-n-paper again.

You may want to cough up $65 for what is, in reality, a hardcopy of what's available on the web, but I'd bet you're in the minority. ;)

The website could compliment the written periodical not deter it.  From what your saying then all the newspapers are simply wasting time, and effort because the web is going to ride them out of business.  A smart business man like Dave could, which is what Blue and Gold (ND), and Gatorbait do, for a subscription, give each subscriber a password and access to the site.  The idea behind the periodical is for reporters, and companies to build interest and pent up demand.  If every moment all they did was provide all their articles on the web then most subscribers would be lazy.  They would subscribe on a monthly basis, once every 3-4 months and catch-up on stories.  With a periodical, they can post teaser articles, and then in the written publication provide the meat and potatoes that the fans are dying to receive.  Which is how many of the other college publications are doing it today.  This gives them a nice fat annual subscription package.

Its still the print media that is king.  I understand that we do not have the pent up demand, but you are being very cynical in your point.  That isn't the point of the poll, the question was would you want the "Return of Bullseye" and you replied "NO."  I understand about demand which was why it closed to begin with, but the question was just whether you'd want it or not, not whether it was necessary.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Is this being brought up because a certain individual (not Dave or Brad) is coming out with Raging Bull magazine in the Fall? Just curious S Bien...

Guest S. Bien

By the way Wooly....the point of the post was to find out interest.  If I am in the 'minority' then I feel sorry for USF because that's sad, and the reason why we are still just a second rate athletic institution.

You talk up the web media, and yet Dave still only has like a couple hundred subscribers.   If that's better then written where are the subscribers?  Unfortunately, few Bulls are willing to put their money where their mouth is....

I have clients, and friends that are Auburn, Bama, FSU, and the like.  They are glued to the mailed periodical when it arrives, and they still have website access as well.

Unfortunately, if you think I am in the minority then that really tells the tail of USF and our fan base!

You have the right to your opinion but if so few are willing to purchase a mailer, AND subscribe to a very informative website then it will be a long while to get where we need to go.

Guest S. Bien

Sheriff, I was unaware that another publication was being contemplated or coming out.  That individual should contact Dave Glaser.  After having already gone through the perils of starting up the publication, and now the fee subscriber website no one knows better than Dave what demand is like, and how to best approach this situation.

That is news to me, but Sheriff I would strongly suggest whomever you know is starting that pub tell them to contact Dave.  This is very tough, and Dave's still struggling to get a strong subscriber base for the internet!!!  

If anything maybe Dave could be an asset, a way to corroborate what they are doing, and the website and this new publication could work together.   I mean, here I am a willing and interested subscriber and I don't know the first thing about the publication.

I don't know about it, but this community needs to start working together.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  1,400
  • Days Won:  0

man i miss bullseye magazine i used to look forward to the day it would arrive in the mail. I still have most of them stored away specially the first few issues. I was really sad the day I heard bullseye would be no more...

I would rather read it as a periodical than online I subscribe to the tribune and they are online..

Sign me up should it come back

I guess I am also part of the "minority" according to WoolyBully

Guest Dave Glaser

Guys: I'm flattered. I really am. You make it all worthwhile, and there's nothing I'd like better.

And Wooly, believe me, I know exactly where you're coming from. The direction I'm heading in now with the website is clearly the future of the information business. Just ask ANY newspaper publisher. Readership in newspapers continues to decline (down 11-percent in the past decade).

My immediate goal right now is to build USFBullsEYE.com to a point where I can devote much (or all) of my time to it. I have a good long ways to go, but there are a number of publishers on the Rivals.com network who have full-time efforts on their sites (the ones you'd expect at schools with large followings). I'd LOVE to get to that point one day, but I know it can be a tough sell.

Most people have gotten used to the internet being a forum for free information, and they're shocked when someone suggests putting a price on that information. I understand that and I know there are some folks who'll NEVER pay for access to USFBullsEYE.com. I'm just going to keep plugging away at it - hopefully providing compelling content - and it may sway some who are sitting on the fence.

I will say that once people come on board they usually stick. I'll be up and running for two years this summer and I've had very few people cancel once they've given the site a try. I know if I had the flexibility to spend the time I'd like on the site, I could double/triple the weekly content and bring USF fans a really dynamic resource.

As Brad can also attest, Rome wasn't built in a day. I just appreciate all of you who've helped me get to this point - both as former print subscribers and now at USFBullsEYE.com.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,658
  • Days Won:  29

I did this mostly outta curiosity ...